: Health Tip: Enjoy Sushi the Healthier Way
Posted September 9, 2015
(HealthDay News) -- Sushi is a great way to eat heart-healthy, nutrient-rich fish. But it's easy to overdo it on calories if you go for fancy rolls slathered in sauces.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics suggests:
- Opt for simple sushi, such as nigiri (fish on a bed of rice). Vary the fish for more varied nutrients.
- Choose sushi restaurants that use plenty of fish and less rice, not the other way around.
- Choose rolls filled with fish and vegetables, avoiding those with mayo, sauces, tempura, cream cheese and fried fillings.
- Opt for low-sodium soy sauce, or none at all.
- The U.S. Food and Drug Administration recommends that pregnant women avoid eating raw fish.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2015 HealthDay
. All rights reserved.